Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sushi Love


Thanks to all who gave birthday greetings; apparently Facebook is good at reminding friends?

We had sushi for the first time in a long while with our former Kayo chef, Ichisan, who is now at Japon Bistro in Pasadena. We went around 5:30 on Friday so there wasn't anyone there--it was almost like having your own chef!

I had been craving sushi since I read the book The Zen of Fish by Trevor Curson, which is a very entertaining English language history of sushi. I don't think I've had sushi since Ichisan left Kayo, and my experience at the bar was a reminder that I've been missing out (although my wallet probably appreciated that!).

While I had the usual salmon with the marinated seaweed on top, 3/4 of what I had were recommendations from Ichisan, including the sea bream in the picture which he took a blowtorch to sear. Most had their own sauce, so he said "no soy sauce" a lot. Aw man, what a flavor rush! With the handy tips on eating sushi fully followed, I left satisfied for my birthday dinner, if a little poorer :)

3 comments:

EUNICE said...

Yummy! Looking forward to more sushi tonight?

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I had fun too! Even though I don't really eat sushi. :D It was fun just seeing you so excited to eat sushi.

Anonymous said...

oops! happy birthday! i haven't checked facebook lately because we had to use the church computer. ugh. so slow...

we're going to check out all the sushi places one by one so when you come for a visit...

oh, but i'll bet we'll never find a chef as good as ichisan.

oh, there was this one place that served all you can eat sushi for dinner. but it's not the serve yourself type place-- you get to order it from the waiter and they bring it fresh to your table!